All That You Need To Know About SSL Validation Benefits And Certificates
The history of SSL certificate is almost as old as WWW itself, give or take a few years. Originally developed by Netscape the first version of SSL- 1.0 was ironically infested by security vulnerabilities making it unfit for the public release.
Subsequent attempts by the company materialize in the form of Version 2.0 and 3.0 none of the either proved o is a strong contestant to be released in the public due to their weak structure and inadequate security.
SSL could never resolve the security issues and holes. Later on, Transport Layer Security replaced it. This new version was powerful and well fortified with the strong security fence.
While the TLS 1.3 is the latest version, most of the sites still rely on TLS 1.1/1.2
Functionalities of SSL
Apart from encrypting your data SSL certificate also works as an identity authenticator that helps you to reaffirm your identity and offer you an elite position in the digital arena.
In simple words, the secured form of HTTP is known as HTTPS where the S stands for security. Once you have installed SSL you redirect your HTTP site to HTTPS site.
- Upon discovering that the site is using SSL encryption technology the browser starts a process to determine the vital aspects of encryption like choosing the specific algorithms and ciphers for encryption, server authentication and key exchange for starting symmetric sessions. This entire process is known as SSL handshake.
- As the client’s browser observes that a site is using the SSL certificate it starts an SSL handshake process. In other words, it decides the precise means to be used for encryption, goes for server authentication and exchange the symmetric session keys.
- The process of session key exchange enables conversion of communication into the secret codes comprehensible that can only be comprehended by the two of them thus discouraging the hackers and malicious elements from misusing the data.
- It is then followed y the two kinds of encryption keys symmetric and asymmetric.
- The asymmetric keys refer to the encryption between the private key and public key.
- In short, the asymmetric key allows the public key to encrypt the data and private key uses the process to decrypt the same.
- But for the uninterrupted communication between the two parties it is extremely necessary that both the keys should have the encryption and decryption capabilities.
- The session’s keys are valid till single session. Upon completing the session these keys are rendered invalid and cannot be used for the next session. The next session would thus require a new set f keys valid for that specific session only.
- The session key is 256 bit while the asymmetric private key is 2048 bit. The security level of the encryption can be understood by the fact that even the supercomputer should rack its brains for 10000 years to decipher the 256-bit encryption!
Dangers/Disadvantages of unsecured HTTP sites
Unencrypted connection invites hackers to feast upon the vital data shared by the visitors to nurture their malicious interests. The customer’s data including credit card number, net banking details, login credentials, key health information. History and other vital information can be stolen and misused by the hackers as the information is in the legible, comprehensible form.
1. Disadvantages of website owners
While the clients can lose their information to the hackers who can then issue them, the website owners aren’t safe either as in that case the websites will be held responsible for safety negligence or the authorities can slap penalties for the same. In many cases, these penalties can reach massive figures and small websites could be devastated. That is certainly to the fate that one deserves or desires. Hence it is very important for you to go for the SSL certificate that safeguards the information about your visitors during transit and also save you from the penalties.
2. Most common attacks that plague HTTP unsecured sites
One of the most common attacks unintentionally facilitated by unsecured sites is Man in the middle attacks. In this type of attack, the hackers receive the information intended for before it could reach the client/server and utilize it for furthering eh communication. Needless to say, the smart hackers utilize this opportunity to devise the communicating in such a way so as to enable him o take the maximum benefit out of the private data information shared by the users. Unfortunately the more benefits for the hackers invariable mean more loss for the clients.
Content injection is another type of attacks that take place in the ecosystem of non secured HTT sites. Unwanted ads are forced into the websites by ISPs that can be annoying and may damage the reputation of the site. Besides, content injection can also be utilized by the malicious elements for their vested interests.
Different types of SSL validation:
- Domain validation (DV):
DV is the most basic form of validation that only suggests that you are the real owner of the website/ obtaining it is quite easy and you can get it free from a number of sites. However it’s best to sick to the most reputed sites only.
- Organization Validation (OV):
This is a more detailed validation process that authenticates your business and thus helps you to gain the trust of the clients. If you are running a corporate website then it is really important to ET the OV level certificate. As opposed to the DV the OV needs you o wait for 3-4 days until the require authentication press is over and you are found legible to obtain the certificate.
- Extended validation (EV):
As the name suggests I is the best type of validation that you can get and if you are running an e-commerce site then EV can help you a long way in enhancing the buyer’ trust and establishing you as a genuine and secured online business that complies with the various business-related documentation. Legalities and the same have en confirmed by the standard authority.
Most important Question:
Should I buy free SSL website or rely on the paid option?
- If your website is not related to any commercial activity and you are just an amateur website owner or a first-time blogger with no commercial interests then you can easily get free SSL certificate. Obtaining process is simple. Issuance is immediate and installation is not a difficulty.
- However if you are running a corporate website then a free certificate isn’t an ideal choice for you. You need the client’s trust before they can decide to do business with you. Any serious client will definitely want to know that you are running the genuine business that complies with the legal requires and promises a corporate structure. Thanks to the detail authentication rocs of OV the clients can have more details of the business that are reflected in the certificate. It certainly has in increasing their trust.
- The extended validation includes more rigorous authorization process and allows you to enjoy the maximum trust of the customers. It offers you the digital certificate that includes the most vital information reaffirming the cent percent genuineness of your business. In fact, if you are running an e-commerce website then you should seriously think about getting EV that can help you drive more conversions.